Thursday, February 2, 2012

Day 2 -- YouTube for Educators





You've probably heard of YouTube and you've likey watched many YouTube videos, whether you realized it or not. YouTube videos are everywhere -- embedded in or linked to on websites and posted on Facebook and Twitter.

You have likely watched YouTube videos, but have you ever used them in your classroom? If so, share how you've used YouTube in the Comments section below. If you haven't used videos in your classroom, why not? One reason may be that you just don't know where to begin. There are so many videos to choose from. (According to YouTube, "48 hours of video are uploaded every minute, resulting in nearly 8 years of content uploaded every day." WOW!) YouTube has helped teachers by creating YouTube EDU, which contains all of their educational videos. Another piece YouTube created just for educators is YouTube Teachers, where you can quickly and easily search through YouTube's educational videos organized by topic. YouTube for Schools is another great option for teachers.



One of the major benefits of joining YouTube at School is that when you watch your videos you do not see recommended videos on the right side panel.

You may want to create an account and your own channel so that you can subscribe to channels and also add videos to playlists to keep them organized.



So what if you want to use YouTube videos in your classroom, but you are in a school that does not allow access to YouTube? You're in luck! One option is to use a program such as Zamzar to convert the video file to a different format. You can also use keepvid.com to download YouTube and other streaming videos to use elsewhere.

There are two challenges related to this post. First, we are collecting digital learning stories. This can be a story of digital learning in a classroom, a school, or a district. The catch is that it needs to be one minute long. This video can be created by a teacher, administrator, or student or group of students. Once you have created your YouTube video, post it to YouTube and send the link to Meri Carnahan. We will then add your video to our YouTube channel, Indiana's Digital Learning Stories. If you are unable to post your video to YouTube, please contact Meri Carnahan and we will make other arrangements to get your video posted.

Part 2 of today's challenge is to share how you are planning on using YouTube videos in your classroom. Do you currently utilize YouTube EDU, YouTube Teachers, or YouTube for Schools? Have you seen any benefits to using these YouTube resources? It's time to share!

7 comments:

  1. I just used YouTube today actually! As a world language teacher, YouTube allows me to bring the world to my classroom. Whether it is a commercial from a target language culure or a popular song, I can expose my students to the language as it is spoken and compare cultural perspective and practices. I haven't used YouTube for education but I am definitely going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the job of eLearning coach, I am constantly using You Tube. I am fortunate that my teachers have access to You Tube videos to share a plethora of resources with their students. The video that I shared for the Indiana's Digital Learning Stories channel is one that I created for my 4th grade son to share with his class. He is in a neighboring district, which does not allow teachers to use You Tube without filling out a form to request it. Sadly, it was very difficult to get the video to her for use in her classroom. I was very disappointed that my son is missing out on so many learning opportunities because his teacher cannot access videos to share real-world examples.
    Personally, I see teachers using clips from You Tube nearly every day. If teachers are concerned about what else may "pop up" when showing a video, then they should look at using Quiet Tube. It allows the video to be shown without all of the other "distractions" around it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been on You Tube until today. So, I am greatful for this challenge in getting me to try new things. I found a video for my K students to watch about neighbors (our current theme). It was so easy to access You Tube. I liked how when the video ended other Sesame Street videos popped up, and it was so quick and easy to show another one. In my coporation we can override the access denied for 5-30 minutes. I tried using You Tube EDU and You Tube Teachers, but to find a K video fast regular You Tube turned out to be easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only do I regularly turn to YouTube to share ideas with people, I also do research via YouTube to learn how to do things or to learn more about topics and ideas that interest me. I also share my ideas with the world via YouTube. It is easy to set up a Channel, to upload video and to share that work via embedding and sharing links. One thing you might consider is having your students create videos and then uploading them to a class YouTube Channel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use You Tube in my Kindergarten classroom everyday. We have several songs that we use for math and reading to reinforce the skills we are working on. I also show clips to go along with our Science and Social Studies topics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday was my first time on You Tube. Could you share what you use and tips for going right to what you would use for kindergarten and not wasting time finding things that you can't use. Sometimes I get lost in cyberspace!

      Delete
  6. I use YouTube videos to learn tips to use when dealing with ed-tech software and hardware. In addition, I usually refer my coworkers to YouTube to learn how to become familiar with various subjects. To do this, I embed the YouTube videos into my blog posts. Recently, I started posting videos to Vimeo because the school doesn't block this site. As a result students can watch the videos as an introduction to a subject or to spark student thought. Here is one posted on Vimeo about the phases of the moon.

    http://vimeo.com/35934733

    The following link to a YouTube video of mine is somewhat boring, but I used this podcast as a tutorial on using Photo Story 3. I hate my voice.

    http://youtu.be/UPNuq-FxwzY

    The next video was created to teach students an acronym for responding to extended-response questions for math. The kids always laugh at this one. I used the Xtranormal website to create this animated video.

    http://youtu.be/5TENxtNu6_s

    ReplyDelete